Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Halloween Etiquette

I always panic about having enough candy on Halloween. This year, since it falls on a Saturday, I really don't know what to do. We live in a neighborhood that is "safe" to trick-or-treat in, and so families from other towns bring their kids over to ours. We could have 50 kids or 300, we never can tell. So I'm interested to find out how everyone distributes their candy -- do you let the kids take their own? Do you put the candy right in the bags for them? Do you tell them "take one" or "take two"? Or do you put a bowl of candy on the porch and go hide in the basement?

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I know this comment is a little late... We also live in a "safe" neighborhood and used to buy just a couple bags, give them out as fast as possible, turn off the lights, lock the doors and head out to dinner. Mostly because we have black cats and they don't like staying inside, which we insist upon on this particular evening. They can be rather obnoxious about the enforced curfew.

    This year we set up a party on the front lawn with a few friends, bought a ton of candy and gave a good bit of it out (luckily I have a nice little leftover stash in the crisper drawer). We usually hand out at least 2 pieces each. And no, I don't let the little ones choose their own - especially with flu season upon us - who needs those grubby little paws in the candy? (I say that with much affection, I assure you :~)

    ReplyDelete